Boysenberry BBQ Sauce

I picked a ton of boysenberries the other day and have been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to use them. After making a boysenberry pie, two batches of boysenberry jam, crumble muffins, and freezing some for parfaits, I decided to can some BBQ sauce.

There are so many different flavors when it comes to barbecue sauce, but I started with a sweet and tangy sauce. For me, it was delicious, but probably a little too sweet for my taste. You're welcome to try it, the recipe is here.

After that batch of barbecue sauce, I decided to do some research and come up with a version of my own. The results are refreshingly spicy, sweet, and tangy all in one. It is so good and I can't wait to try it on a rack of ribs or some grilled chicken.

Boysenberry BBQ Sauce
2 TB Coconut oil
1 Onion diced
2 Jalapenos diced
2-3 tsp minced Garlic
1 C Chicken Broth
12 oz Boysenberries (or other berry of your choice)
1/2 C Ketchup
1/3 C Apple Cider Vinegar
1 TB Molasses
1/4 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp ginger

Instructions
1. Warm coconut oil in a medium sized pot. I prefer non-stick because this stuff gets nice and sticky. 2. Add onion and saute until softened.
3. Add jalapenos and garlic to the onion and saute until fragrant and the onion browns slightly.
4. Add chicken broth, stirring slowly and bring to a boil.
5. Add remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Stir continuously for 20-25 minutes.
6. At this point, you can add it straight to your meat, or add it to a prepared and sterilized pint jar and top with a new hot lid to seal.   

Comments

Popular Posts