Boysenberry Jam



The hardest part about making jam is getting it to set properly. If the pectin is off-balance, your would-be jam is now syrup. Still yummy, but not so great on PB&J or toast. Well, guess what?! I have an easy solution for you! This 30 minute jam comes with its own pectin right in the berries. You can have this stuff canned and done in such little time, that you wonder what else you can can.

Can you do the Can-can?

I know, I'm hilarious.

My amazing neighbors shared their boysenberry patch with me this year and I just love them for it. The sweet dark berries are perfect with a bowl of vanilla ice cream or baked into a breakfast muffin.
Since I harvested 2 gallons of berries, I have been wondering what to make. I started with this yummy recipe for boysenberry jam and it is quite delicious. I then whipped up some Boysenberry Pie, and finished off with canned Boysenberry Barbecue Sauce.



BOYSENBERRY JAM
3 lbs Boysenberries
2.25 lbs Sugar
1 Lime juiced
1/2 TB Butter

  1. Add the Boysenberries to a large stock pot. Heat to boiling, stirring often. At first you'll feel silly adding plain ol' berries and expecting them to boil, but the heat really brings out their juice and it looks amazing. 
  2. Once the berries are boiling, slowly add the sugar, stirring, but keeping a steady boil. 
  3. Cook the berry/sugar mixture on high for 30 minutes stirring constantly. If you don't stir while it is on high, your berries will start to burn and stick to the bottom. If you don't cook them on high heat, they will take forever to reach the jellying point. 
  4. Test the jelly point after 30 minutes by dipping a cold spoon in the pot. Once the jam pours off in a thick sheet instead of drips, the jam is done. 
  5. Quickly add to sterilized jars (boil jars and new lids in water for 15 minutes), leaving 1/4" space above for expansion, and top with a hot lid and ring. Jars have sealed when the lid button "pops" and goes down. 









Comments

Popular Posts