White Chicken Enchiladas

If you are looking for an authentic spicy Mexican dish full of all the chili flavors found south of the border, you'll have to look elsewhere. This white enchilada dish was something my mother always made and was my absolute favorite in 1st Grade. So much so, that I actually wrote in one of my daily writing prompts that my favorite food was "chiken inchaladas" because although I didn't quite know how to spell, I definitely knew what I liked. 

My palate has since changed a little and I like to double the green chilies and add jalapenos on top, but this classic brings back good memories. 

Sour Cream and Chicken Enchiladas
2-3 large chicken breasts
1 TB canola oil
Salt and Pepper
12 corn tortillas
2 4 oz cans green chilies
2 cups cheddar cheese
2 C sour cream
2 14 oz cans cream of chicken soup
1 fresh jalapeno, sliced


  1. Salt and pepper chicken on both sides before laying it in a pan with hot canola oil. Cook on each side 5-6 minutes depending on thickness of chicken. Cover the last 5 minutes to speed up cooking and lock in moisture. Let rest 10 minutes before dicing or shredding. 
  2. While chicken rests, mix sour cream and cream of chicken soup with the can of green chilies and 1 cup of cheese. 
  3. Soften the tortillas by wrapping a small stack with damp paper towels and microwaving for 60 seconds. 
  4. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking oil, then spread a thin layer of sour cream mixture along the bottom. 
  5. Add 2 TB of sour cream mixture to a tortilla, then diced chicken before rolling it up and adding to the pan. Continue with remaining tortillas. 
  6. Top rolled tortillas with remaining sour cream mixture, then top with 1 C of shredded cheddar cheese. Add sliced jalapeno on top of the cheese for added spice.
  7. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes, or until the edge starts to bubble and the cheese is melted.




Comments

Popular Posts